12 Apr MacDonald Fire – Update
On Sunday morning, a fire was reported in the MacDonald residence building at our Winder Street Residence Complex. Firefighters were called by Residence Security and arrived quickly to fight the blaze. We are happy to inform everyone that no one was injured and all residents were evacuated from the building in time. The full extend of the damage is currently being assessed, with the most serious damage located on the top floor and the remainder appearing to be primarily smoke and water damage.
Our priority remains our students’ safety and well-being. Therefore, the College is providing on-going support to help affected students through this challenging time. All residents of the MacDonald building are being relocated within the residence complex. College personnel are currently working with students who have been impacted to ensure that they are provided with food, clothes and technological material to pursue their academic work. Psychological support is also being offered by members of the Student Services team.
We would like to thank local emergency response authorities and the Fire Department for their rapid intervention, Bishop’s University Residence and Conferencing Services for their timely assistance, our security at residence for always being vigilant and dedicated to our students’ safety and the small but mighty team of Champlain employees who responded yesterday and all those who will continue to support students and recovery efforts.